Friday, July 26, 2013

"Sea Turtle and Sewing Threads"


This is the continuing work of my obsession with paper embroidery and mixed media. I finally finished this little guy! It took me off and on, (mostly off) for about a month. I get a couple of questions about the background surface and paper. I used watercolor on PastelMat paper and let it dry overnight before I start to draw. I love the look of the watercolor with this sea turtle. The hand embroidery are illustrations of sea plants and thought it would be a good and unique balance to this piece.

I'm at a weird place with my brain these days. I'm finding after I finish a species piece, then I get attracted to architectural things...mostly local homes. My attractions towards the organic to the inorganic. Having said that, my next piece will be on our current dwelling on the California Central Coastline. Hmmm...maybe I should do one seascape to show people what our new outside view is...but Naaaah...I'm not very good at seascapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment