Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Little Pastel Collection...so far



Like I said, I just started into Pastels, and so far I'm hooked.
(For the record: I am not an expert in Pastels in anyway shape or form!!! I am a total beginner, and the pics I am posting are things that I am learning while in Class and as I going through the process.)

However, I don't like to initially spend money on materials I don't quite understand yet. Well actually, I wanted to be very conservative with spending money on materials, just in case it turns out something that I didn't want to pursue.
A set of pastels, depending on brand and quantity in color range can cost anywhere from $7.00 to $1,850.00...and that's on sale!
I had kept my very old pastel set from high school and they still work. Pastel (good pastels) are pure pigments, so it will last as long as any oil or acrylic painting. NO, I don't have one of those nice wooden palette set...just yet. Maybe if I sell a few of my drawings I can use that for a set. Anyways, here's a breakdown of what I have been using...see photo and note below <;0)

a) Rembrandt 30 half pastels. The box says "soft" they are not soft..at least when you compare to high end brands
b) Creatacolor 12 pencil set- use for details or small drawings, sharpen with a manual pencil sharpener, don't use an electric one!
c) Reeves 32 half sticks set-really yields tons of powder...(cough, cough) because it's cheap pastel sticks
d) Sennelier Fixative for Pastel and Oil Pastels- Ugh, luckily I've tested a swatch. It makes the beauty and raw strokes of pastel drip and combine together. Changes the look of your drawing. Unless you want a certain effect, and it does work, your pastels won't blow or smudge away...BUT takes away that freshness that I love about this medium
e) Weber Costello 12 Square Pastels- I think this is over 30-45 years old! But still holds up and the quality isn't as cheap as the Reeves
f) Holbein Artist's Pastels 36 set- Now this is the bit on the higher medium price range. The quality of these soft pastels are very creamy, however I did not know that these were to be sold in half sticks. In fact the half sticks are tiny! These were a Holiday gift so I am forever grateful, but was bummed that the sticks were so small, even in for half sticks
g) Sennelier 80 half sticks, Plein Air set- Now, this set are 80 half sticks and isn't so tiny compared to the Holbein set. This is the set I mainly work off of. This so far is my absolute fav! (will post a pic of the content later) These are really awesome, they go on creamy and the colors are so rich. I originally thought, "landscape set", oh no...I don't do well in landscape, BUT the color range is so good, that you can do tons of subject matter then just landscape. If you run out of a stick, you order these pastel individually online, or I just make a trip to our local art store and they stock majority of the colors....so no worries there <;0)
Price range is on the medium-high. This set with shipping is $89.95.
h) Derwent 24 Pastel Pencil set- Another Holiday gift that I am forever grateful. Good color range for whatever subject matter. However, this pencil is thicker then your standard No.2 pencil or other color pencils and so now I have to order or find a pencil sharpener that will fit with this set. I guess I'm suppose to sharpen these with a razor???
i and j) Soft brush for fixing, smudges or any additional effects. I use my old watercolor brush, because the hairs are really soft. Disposable gloves. You don't want to work with pastels with your bar hands. The colors will get stuck and takes forever to wash out even with soap and water. Plus, it tends to really dry out my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment