Thursday, March 1, 2012

A New Town, New Life, New Directions in my Art

We lived or rather moved from a typical busy Silicon Valley life to a local Beach town community.
So I've decided to get back into some basic drawings. I have spent my entire career working on designs using computers and such. I also felt I have lost the feeling of using my own hands to draw. So...I've just started my new personal exploration into Pastels.
With much help from the wonderful pastel classes at the Santa Cruz Art League...and my instructor <;0), I find that using pastels allows alot of freedom then I originally thought. True, it is a fragile dry medium, but the textures and colors are absolutely more vibrant then the dictionary definition of what "pastel" is.
So now, I shall begin my humble posting of my journey into this new medium that I've just started working on. Everything is, of course, alot of work-in-progress, and I make mistake and learn as I go along. I will be my own worst critic but my goal is eventually have a body of work that expresses my background and personal expressions. I will start this blog with posting the basics of my drawings on newsprint, still life and simple landscapes. But as time permits, hopefully I will start some sort of composition that is Neither landscape or still lives but something totally different then what I have been seeing being done with pastels....which are still life and landscapes. Totally nothing wrong with those subject matters, in fact what I've seen, are really impressive. It is just that there are tons of great artist painting those subjects and I just like to do something different.
Plus, I totally suck at drawing landscapes and still life. (this is just being honest, not being super critical of myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment