Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Geishia's Dream"

Finally, was able to finish this piece (April is always the busiest for us, many birthdays including my son's) The challenge was that I was trying to make the appearance of the Geishia to look visually flat, because traditionally (dating hundreds of years back) geishia figures had a flat treatment to them, due to the fact that many were depicted using wood block prints. The challenge for me personally was to make pastel seem and applied in a flat look, which is hard since the beauty of pastel mediums is that it's pretty organic and so it is meant to be built with layers. Also, I wanted to mention that this is a "mixed media" piece. I used acrylic paint in some of the areas. So I had to consider drying time before I could proceed with the pastels. I may have created the composition a bit too much, I think I got too excited and carried away with my theme that I went a bit overboard. And I think this will end my theme using the koi fishes. Note* You might be able to tell that I am heavily influenced by Hung Liu's piece "Chinese Profile II" which is a permanent piece in the San Jose Museum of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment