Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ocean Sunfish- Mola Mola

My son loves this fish, he had seen it before during a school field trip at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. and when we went as a family he immediately insisted that we should see this first. Without going into the facts about this fish, I thought it would be an unusual subject matter to pastel paint this. Granted it's not the world's "prettiest" fish, but it is quite awesome to see this live. Click here for the Wikipedia info on this species. I wanted to incorporate some elements of ocean sunfish in Katakana, and used the Kanji for "ocean" in this piece. I have used the Art Spectrum paper, which is acrylic based, and took to my acrylic paints and matt medium quite well. So the finished piece has these layered of acrylics, papers and pastel, and I'm really enjoying the texture from the layering process.

No comments:

Post a Comment